Highland Road Park Observatory
2020 PREVIEW PARTY
Friday, 27 December from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
No admission fee. For all ages.
Drinks and refreshments. Marshmallow roast.
Physical science demos. Binocular recommended.
For the last open Friday of 2019, HRPO preempts the Lecture Series to invite regulars and newcomers alike to preview the fantastic programming for 2020!
These programs include (but are not limited to)…
- Learn Your Telescope [4 January]
- Learn Your Sky [18 January]
- Learn Your Binocular [1 February]
- Pluto♇ Discovery 90th Anniversary Celebrations [13/14 February]
- The Edge of Night (spring session) [13 March]
- NanoDays [4 April]
- Apollo 13 50th Anniversary Lecture [10 April]
- International Astronomy Day [2 May]
- American Radio Relay League Field Day [26 June]
- The Edge of Night (summer session) [3 July]
- Perseid Meteor Shower [12 August]
- The Edge of Night (fall session) [6 November]
- Spooky Spectrum [3 October]
- Natural Sky Conference [13 November]
- Geminid Meteor Shower [13 December]
Dates are tentative. Check with actual webpage of each event.
AVAILABLE CELESTIAL OBJECTS
- 6:00 pm to 6:45 pm = Venus♀
- 6:27 pm to 6:30 pm = pass of the Abrixas rocket
- 6:43 pm to 6:52 pm = pass of an H-IIA 204 rocket
- 6:45 pm to 8:00 pm = Neptune♆
- 6:45 pm to 10:00 pm = Uranus♅
- 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm = Vesta
- 7:07 pm to 7:14 pm = pass of the Cosmos 2082 rocket
- 7:11 pm to 7:14 pm = pass of the Lacrosse 5 rocket
- 7:15 pm to 10:00 pm = Pleiades Star Cluster
- 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm = Orion Nebula
- 8:30 pm to 9:45 pm = scintillation of Sirius
Telescope viewing and marshmallow roast are weather permitting.
HRPO PARTNER: BREC
Partygoers can pick up a BREC Program Guide or orange flyer listing all upcoming HRPO programs for the first section of the year.
HRPO PARTNER: LSU
LSU regularly provides intriguing Friday Night speakers year-round. LSU also owns and maintains the 20OGS and 16OGS professional-grade telescopes.
HRPO PARTNER: BRAS
BRAS works tirelessly to reclaim the dark skies for Baton Rouge.
Updated by Frederick J. Barnett on Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 03:02 PM.