Highland Road Park Observatory
formerly known as Rocket Camp
Thursday 20 December and Friday 21 December
8:00 am to 5:00 pm each day
Mission Theme: computing
Rockets: Spaceloft and Alpha III
STEM Activity: Mission Critical Mars game
[Registration in progress.]
Total Cost: $57.00 per in-parish explorer
$68.40 per out-of-parish explorer
Ages: nine to thirteen
Maximum Capacity: thirty explorers
(All materials are provided.)
Attention: Six children must be registered by 13 December for Space Exploration Camp to take place.
Children learn about the American Space Program, rocketry and STEM at HRPO’s Space Exploration Camp!
For over a century, thanks to the solid work of the Wright brothers, Robert Goddard and others, rockets and spacecraft have been sent into low-Earth♁ orbit, to land and orbit the Moon, to land on Venus♀ and Mars♂, to land on Mercury☿ and to flyby the gas and ice giants. Soon, recreation and leisure flights will commerce, and actual human beings will go to Mars♂ and an asteroid!
At the second-only Space Exploration Camp, kids can expect…
- an overview of the new Expedition 58 at the International Space Station
- a computerized game wherein Explorers are astronauts headed to Mars♂
- tips on how to view the upcoming Quadrantid Meteor Shower
- how to experience confirmation of New Horizons getting to Ultima Thule
- latest news on the Mars InSight and the OSIRIS-REx missions
- building and launching of two chemical rockets (for each kid)
- take-home selection from STEM periodicals
Parents can register in person at HRPO. Parents can also register online at WebTrac (updated).
Registration is not complete, regardless of payment, until HRPO has received completed copies of the camp forms below. Tell all the other parents you know, and don’t wait until the last minute to register!
2018 Winter SEC Camp Forms PDF
Updated by Frederick J. Barnett on Thursday, December 6, 2018, 05:23 PM.